Last Updated on
Unnecessary comparison is something that most of us indulge in either consciously or unconsciously.
We tend to compare our achievements and successes with those of our colleagues or contemporaries.
However, unnecessary comparison is one thing that can drain self-joy, kill heart of gratitude and induce depression.
Why would you even be comparing yourself with someone else?
Anyway, when next you are tempted to compare yourself with someone else, remember the following:
Dangers of unnecessary comparison:
- Comparison makes you loose your originality: Being original makes you unique. However, you can improve on yourself but don’t loose yourself.
- Comparison brings envy and jealousy, thereby creating unnecessary rivalry and enmity
- There is nothing like a ” perfect” life. The so-called perfection you see in people’s lives is an illusion. Different people have different things they are dealing with. So, don’t get carried away or be deceived.
- Life is not totally fair. Yes! Some people naturally have more advantages than others. However, you can create your own advantages even if you were not born with any.
- Your destiny and destination is different from others’
- Comparison can drain your joy and leave you depressed
- The only healthy comparison is comparing yourself with YOU!
However, the following points can help you quit the game of unnecessary comparison:
- Love yourself for who you are
- Have a heart of gratitude: Be thankful for the so called “little” things and opportunities that life gives you.
- Develop and improve on yourself continuously
- Remain focused to your dreams, values and aspirations
- Relax, exercise and occasionally blend some positive fun into your work and life
Why do you think people indulge in unnecessary comparison?
How would you differentiate comparison with having role models in life?
Say your mind in the comment section!